M.T. Kalashnikov Museum and Exhibition Small Arms Complex

Home » Tourism » Traveling over the Museums » Glazov

Glazov

Print version

A bridge over the river TcheptsaExcursions

“The eye-town”

Town Glazov is located on the north of the Republic of Udmurtia.

It was first mentioned in the population census in 1678 as “Glazov village beyond the river Cheptsa”.

Glazov was granted the town status in 1789 during Yekaterina II administrative reform and became the smallest uyezd (district) center in Vyatka province.

In 1787 the town was given its coat of arms featuring the human eye, as well as its first general layout developed by the famous St. Petersburg architect Ivan Lem. The town’s radial streets were meeting at the round central square (the “pupil”) with Voznesensko-Preobrazhensky cathedral. The town’s wall represented the upper lid, the river Cheptsa bend – the lower lid of the eye. Such radial-concentric layout traced back to the “ideal town” of the Enlightenment. Thus Ivan Lem copied the architectural idea of Versailles.

Glazov history is interwoven with famous names.
Russian writer Vladimir Galaktionovich Korolenko was exiled to Glazov in 1879; Russian satirist Mikhail Evgaphovich Saltykov-Shchedrin visited the town.
The life of Pyotr Fyodorovich Tchaikovsky, grandfather of the famous composer, is also connected with Glazov. He was among the first police-inspectors of the town. During the Patriotic War of 1812 P. F. Tchaikovsky organized a collection of money for the benefit of the Russian Army.
Olga Leonardovna Knipper, an outstanding Russian actress and wife of Russian writer Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, was born in Glazov in 1867.
A famous archeological monument of the Udmurt Middle Ages (dated IX-XIII century) – site of the ancient settlement “Idnakar” – is located near Glazov, at Soldyr’ mountain.

The tourists will learn about the history of the “Eye-town”, visit the museum of local lore, history and economy, historic and cultural reserve “Idnakar”.

The excursion lasts 8 hours.

Price: See the Price list

Glazov Museums

The History and Culture Museum-Reserve “Idnakar”

The museum includes permanent expositions devoted to the site of ancient settlement “Idnakar”, the nature of Northern Udmurtia, the ancestors of the Udmurts and their neighbours, and also the site of the ancient settlement “Idnakar” dated IX-XIII century A.D.

The first permanent exposition was opened in 1998. It features about 500 exhibits characterizing everyday life, crafts, culture, and art of the medieval inhabitants of the settlement. One can find here museum complexes “A Medieval House” and “A Medieval Forgery”. Diorama “Ancient settlement Idnakar” helps make an idea of what the settlement was like at its zenith.

In 2008 a new exposition “The ancestors of the Udmurts and their neighbours” was constructed and opened. The visitor will learn about archeological research methods, medieval funeral rites, and the connection of the Cheptsa tribes with Volga Bolghar and Russian principalities. A significant section is devoted to the Middle Ages military.

The site of the ancient settlement Idnakar is a unique monument of the Cheptsa archeological culture left by the ancestors of the modern Udmurts. It occupies four hectares. The site of the settlement was explored by a prominent Russian archeologist A. A. Spitsin and an outstanding regional ethnographer, public colleges’ inspector N. G. Pervukhin in 1885-1889, Moscow archeologists S. G. Matveev and A. P. Smirnov in 1927-1929. The archaeological expedition of Udmurt Institute for the History of Language and Culture of the Ural Department of the Russian Academy of Sciences, headed by Doctor of History, Professor M. G. Ivanova, has been leading systematic research since 1974.

In summer excursions are organized to visit the archeological dig on the territory of the ancient settlement.

Tel.: +7 (34141) 3-55-33
Address: Ul. Sovetskaya, 27, Glazov, 427620, Republic of Udmurtia
Opening hours: 8.00-18.00. Closed Sat.-Sun.
Notice: Only advance ordering.

How to find us:

From Izhevsk:
Bus N 205 Izhevsk – Glazov,
trains N 219 Kazan – Kirov, N 153 Izhevsk – St. Petersburg, N 687 Izhevsk - Yar
e-mail: idnakar@bk.ru


Glazov Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy

The museum expositions tell the story of the Russian writers V. G. Korolenko, N. E. Saltykov-Shchedrin stay in Glazov. Here one can also find archeological evidence of the ancient Udmurt history and culture.

The “Historical Glazov” exhibition hall hosts the following exposition complexes: The site of ancient settlement “Idnakar”, Glazov town history, a merchant's shop, “kenos” (a summer house of the Udmurts), and “P. F. Tchaikovsky – a Glazov police inspector”.

Children's favourite fairy-tale and literature characters are revived in hand-made dolls of "Mysterious Doll Land" exhibition.
A predatory dinosaur skeleton 6 m long, skulls, and fossil pangolins footprints are presented at the exhibition “Dinosaur World”.

Tel.: +7 (34141) 4-9868
Address: Ul. Kirova, 11, Glazov, 427600, Udmurtia
Opening hours: 10.00-18.00. Closed on Monday.
Admission fees: Schoolchildren – from 2 rub. Adults – from 3 rub.

How to find us:

From Izhevsk:
Bus N 205 Izhevsk – Glazov,
trains N 219 Kazan – Kirov, N 153 Izhevsk – St. Petersburg, N 687 Izhevsk - Yar

Website: http://www.museum.ru/M1329

A bridge over the river TcheptsaThe town's fan layoutGlazov Museum of Local Lore, History and EconomyArt school